Go on a nature walk with your child! Spend time outside focusing on noticing what is out there. Pay attention to what you can see, smell, feel, taste, and touch. Encourage your child to try to notice new things that he/she has never noticed before. Talk about how much more you can notice when you take the time to slow down and pay attention!
Here are some books to help you learn more about mindfulness:
- Puppy Mind by Andrew Jordan Nance
- Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda by Lauren Alderfer
- Mind Bubbles by Heather Krantz
- Breathe Like a Bear by Kira Willey
Here are some discussion points to help you talk about mindfulness with your child:
- What do you think the word mindfulness means?
- Is it easy for you to be in the present moment? Explain.
- Why do you think it can be helpful to be in the present moment?
- Do you like to sit in silence? Why or why not?
- Do you notice your feelings before they get out of control?
- Why do you think it can be helpful to notice your thoughts and feelings?